Campus Life


Visa for University Students

You must apply for the following Japanese visa when studying in Japan - Visa Category: "General Visa", Status of Residence: "Student".
In order to apply for the Japanese visa, a Certificate of Eligibility is required. An application for the Certificate of Eligibility is made by a proxy (in this case, the Center for International Education Office) to the nearest regional immigration authority. The certificate is issued to incoming students by the regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice. After the issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility, the Center for International Education Office will mail to your home institution. After receiving the Certificate of Eligibility, visit a nearest Japanese embassy or consulate along with other necessary application documents listed below to apply for visa.

Documents to submit when applying for visa:


● two 45mm x 45mm passport-type photos taken within the previous six months
● two official visa application forms (available at the embassy or consulate)
● two copies (the original and a photocopy) of Certificate of Eligibility
● official Letter of Admission (issued from Seinan Gakuin University)
● Check the following website for more detailed information and application process of Japanese visa.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan - Visa Information


Resident Card

Every International student must report his/her address and register at a ward office in your district (the Sawara Ward Office), within 90 days of his/her arrival in Fukuoka, and obtain a resident card. You must carry the resident card in place of your passport, while in Japan. It usually takes about two weeks to issue the resident card. You may be asked to show your resident card by a police officer at any time. If you are not carrying your resident card, then you may be arrested. It is, therefore, required that you visit a ward office to register for your reisdent card. If you change your address, you must report it to the ward office of your new residence within 14 days. It may be helpful for you to go with a Japanese student when you apply for it.

Where to apply (those who live in Sawara ward)Necessary Documents
Sawara Ward Office No. 3 counter, 1st floor (Citizens Section)
Address: 2-1-1 Momochi, Sawara-ku, Fukuoka 814-8501
Phone: (092) 833-4311 (Citizens Section)
Open: 9:00AM - 5:00PM   From Monday to Friday
1. Two photos (4.5 x 3.5 cm) of yourself
2. Application for Alien Registration
3. Your passport

Information for Immigration and Study Abroad in Japan

・Gateway to Study in Japan

page top

Seinan Gakuin University

6-2-92 Nishijin, Sawara-ku, Fukuoka 814-8511 Japan

Copyright © Seinan Gakuin University.All rights reserved.